Thursday, May 14, 2015

A Choking Experience - Pre-Op Assesment No. 2 : Endoscopy

Okay, so the other day I went for my Upper Endoscopy assessment. Upper Endoscopy is a medical procedure where a device tube thing with a light and camera is used to look inside the body through the mouth. For me it was to look inside my stomach, to check if I had any ulcers and other stuff before they do the surgery. It looks something like this below :






Anyways, so last Thursday I went for it and lets just say I was not prepared for it all! Because of reading the internet, I thought I was going to be sedated while the tube is stuck down my throat.

But that was not the case for this hospital, the way they do it at this hospital is that my throat is only numbed and I am awake, cos they need to ask me to swallow the tube. So when the tube went in, they asked me to breathe through my nose. At first I was doing okay, but then I started to feel the tube in me, and it felt like something foreign and alien was in my body and I started to panic, and forgot to breathe through my nose and was trying to breath through my mouth, and then I started choking,  and I felt like I was suffocating,the doctors and nurses kept telling me calm down and breathe through my nose, but my brain could not process those instructions up to a point when the doctor said "ok this has got to stop now" and he pulled the tube out of my mouth.  I felt so violated after that, and it was quite a traumatic experience, I just wanted to cry after.

Urgh, but it is true my body does have a tendency to fight back foreign things,once even though I was sedated (not GA), 4 people still had to hold me down  cos something foreign was being inserted and I was just fighting it.

So the test was done, and they said I am actually ok for the surgery. However, the doctor said that I do have some Acid Reflux, and it may be better to do the Gastric Bypass surgery instead. Which is something I am not entirely keen on because it has a lot more risks. But he said wants to see all results from all the tests first, and then we can explore further if there needs to be a change in the type of surgery.

sigh. I really hope I can just stick to the sleeve surgery.

My next test is the Sleep Study, which I will be doing tonight!!

No comments:

Post a Comment