Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Bitten by Dracula!! - Pre-Op Assessment No. 1 : Blood Tests

My mom calls the Pathology Department in the Hospital  "Dracula" , because they take your bloooddd~!

Anyways, today I went to "submit" my blood for testing for all kinds of things. This is part of the pre-op assessments that I need to do. I waited my number and when I got called, the guy said I have 10 test tubes to be filled for testing. 10!!

So then he took out a huge syringe,  I believe it was the size of the one of the far left below and it kinda freaked me out .


Being the smart person I am, of ALL DAYS, I decided to wear my top where the sleeves are impossible to roll up. We tried and tried, but they just could not, and blood guy could not take my blood from the usual place which is inner middle of the arm where the arm bends, he had to take them from the front of my hands. Here's a piece of advice, if you can take it from the middle of your arm, ALWAYS chose that option. Taking blood from the front hurts!! especially when you have to sit there for a while cos they need so much of it!!!

Anyway, after that he told me I had to take some powdered drink  called "Dextrose Monohydrate" and return in 2 hours time for me to take blood again. I don't actually know why I had to do this, but in the end it meant another hole in the other side of the front of my hand :(

Anyway, first pre-op assessment completed. Next up would be the sleep study, followed by the endoscope and meeting the anesthesiologist. 

Yay. I am excited. I must admit that I do sometimes get second thoughts about this whole surgery. But then I remember everything else, and I get excited to do it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment